When the Bestlite table lamp saw the light of day for the first time in 1930, nobody thought that it would once become into a design classic. The Bestlite became well known as Winston Churchill’s light because it was standing on his desk in the White House. Thanks to its flexibility and functionality, the Bestlite was primarily used in car repair shops and in hangers of the Royal Air Force during its first years of life. The lights were designed according to the Bauhaus philosophy. Their designer Robert Dudley Best was strongly influenced by this style when he studied industrial design in Germany in the 1920s. The Bestlite had its breakthrough when it was proclaimed as the first British Bauhaus manifestation by the Architect‘s Journal.